Acai & Goji Berry Jelly
Recipe and Photo by Mountain Rose Herbs
Acai berries are naturally low in sugar but loaded with antioxidants and vitamin A and calcium, while goji berries bring a complex umami flavor to the table. Together, these little gems taste like a marriage of chocolate and red wine!
1/2 cup organic Acai Berry Powder
1/2 cup organic Lycii (Goji) Berries
1 1/2 cups water (or strong Herbal Tea of choice)
1/2 cup organic lemon juice
2 tablespoons low sugar pectin
3/4 cup organic sugar
1. Combine the dried Acai berries, herbal tea (or water) and lemon juice in a large saucepan over medium heat. As the berries rehydrate, gently crush them with a potato masher. When the water comes to a full boil, turn off the heat and continue crushing the berries until a smooth mixture is achieved (about 15 minutes).
2. Strain off the berries, reserving the juice. Using a funnel or fine sieve and cheesecloth over a jar or bowl, let the juice continue to drip for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, get the water bath going and sterilize your jars and lids.
3. Transfer juice into a stainless steel saucepan, add pectin and bring to boil. Add sugar all at once and bring back to boil. Allow to boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and quickly skim off any foam that occurs at the top.
5. Pour juice into sterile jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace; wipe rims. Place lids on jars and secure with bands.
6. Place filled jars in the water bath, covering jars by an inch at least. Boil hard for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude.
7. Remove jars and place them where they'll remain undisturbed for 24 hours. After that time, check seals. Refrigerate any jars that didn't seal and use within a few days. Makes 4 (4oz) jars.