Vanilla ~ Honey ~ Peach Butter
7-8 large, ripe peaches (about 3 ½ to 4 pounds)
½ cup turbinado sugar
½ cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 whole vanilla bean
1. Rinse peaches under cool water and pat dry. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil.
2. Set the peaches in the boiling water to blanch for one minute. Drain and immediately place peaches in a large bowl of ice water. This treatment will make the skins easily slip off of the fruit.
3. Slice peeled peaches and place in a large pot (you can use the same one as long as you dry it out with a towel first). Simmer the peaches over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring often.
4. Puree peaches in a food processor (or use an immersion blender) and return to the pot. Add the sugar, honey and lemon juice. Using a sharp knife, slice open the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the pot.
5. Bring the fruit mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring often.
6. Remove from heat and transfer the peach butter into sterile canning jars and seal. Makes about 4 half-pint jars.
This wonderful spread is delicious on warm toast, biscuits and scones or served alongside grilled chicken or pork. Make extra to give as gifts!